Re: CDL-CORE LIST OF FILMS AVAILABLE?

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:15:30 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:53 AM 8/2/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Perhaps at another time we can discuss how curriculum will be screwed up and
>altered by being limited only to titles on Video/DVD.
>
>Jessica

I absolutely agree with you and while some institutions have argued to
obtain funds in their budgets to rent films and to project them properly to
their students, others have to be more enterprising by organizing
screenings at archives when they can. Unfortunately many institutions,
particularly in their attempts to attract students to popular and fun
courses, are not in the position of showing films on film because their
planning consisted of content only. Teaching film studies takes up a chunk
of operating and capital budget. "If it's not on video, it will not be
taught" tends to be the motto in just too many places.

On the other side of the coin, as you know better than anyone, the numbers
of non-theatrical titles available on film are dwindling to extinction.
This is truly a period of transition for everyone. If you can show a film
in the best format available whether it's 35mm or VHS, you're doing the
best you can.

(And if I hear one more person ask me why I'm not digitizing the media
collections and making them available on the web, I'll (fill in the blank))

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8