CDL-CORE LIST--500 titles

Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:51:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I co-authored a book in 1990 called "Video Movies" compiling an annotated
list of 500 classic American, foreign, and genre films (including cult).
Putting the book into an email isn't practical, but since the book is o.p. I
see no reason why I can't share the list. As of mid-1989 all of these titles
had been released on video, but many notable titles had not yet, so you
won't see "Fantasia," "Harvey," "The Last Picture Show" or "The Rocky Horror
Picture Show," among others. Anyway, here it is:

THE LIST

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN
ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR, THE
ADAM'S RIB
ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI, THE: ACROSS THE EIGHTH DIMENSION
ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, THE
ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, THE
ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER, THE
AFRICAN QUEEN, THE
AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD
ALEXANDER NEVSKY
ALFIE
ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE
ALIEN
ALL ABOUT EVE
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
ALL THAT JAZZ
ALL THE KING'S MEN
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN
AMADEUS
AMERICAN GRAFFITI
AMERICAN IN PARIS, AN
AMERICAN TALE, AN
AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
ANNIE HALL
APARTMENT, THE
APOCALYPSE NOW
ASPHALT JUNGLE, THE
ATLANTIC CITY
BABETTE'S FEAST
BACK TO THE FUTURE
BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, THE
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
BALL OF FIRE
BAMBI
BAND WAGON, THE
BANK DICK, THE
BARRY LYNDON
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
BECKET
BEDAZZLED
BEN-HUR
BENJI
BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, THE
BICYCLE THIEF, THE
BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET
BIG PARADE, THE
BIG SLEEP, THE
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
BIRDS, THE
BIRTH OF A NATION, THE
BLACK ORPHEUS
BLACK STALLION, THE
BLADE RUNNER
BLAZING SADDLES
BLOOD SIMPLE
BLOW-UP
BLUE ANGEL, THE
BLUE VELVET
BOAT, THE
BODY AND SOUL
BODY SNATCHER, THE
BONNIE AND CLYDE
BORN FREE
BORN YESTERDAY
BRAZIL
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
BREAKING AWAY
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE
BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, THE
BRIEF ENCOUNTER
BRINGING UP BABY
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
CABARET
CAINE MUTINY, THE
CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS
CASABLANCA
CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
CAT PEOPLE
CHARADE
CHARIOTS OF FIRE
CHARLOTTE'S WEB
CHINATOWN
CHRISTMAS CAROL, A
CINDERELLA
CITIZEN KANE
CITY LIGHTS
CLOCKWORK ORANGE, A
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
COLOR PURPLE, THE
COMING HOME
CONVERSATION, THE
COOL HAND LUKE
COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, THE
COURT JESTER, THE
CRIMSON PIRATE, THE
CUTTER'S WAY
DAMN YANKEES
DARLING
DAVID COPPERFIELD
DAY OF THE LOCUST, THE
DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE
DAYS OF HEAVEN
DEAD OF NIGHT
DEER HUNTER, THE
DEFIANT ONES, THE
DELIVERANCE
DERSU UZALA
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, THE
DIABOLIQUE
DINER
DIRTY HARRY
DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, THE
DIVA
DOCKS OF NEW YORK
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
DODSWORTH
DOG DAY AFTERNOON
DOUBLE LIFE, A
DOUBLE OF INDEMNITY
DR. NO
DR. STRANGELOVE
DRACULA
DRESSED TO KILL
DRESSER, THE
DUCK SOUP
DUMBO
E.T.
EAST OF EDEN
EASY RIDER
81/2
EL NORTE
ELEPHANT MAN, THE
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, THE (see STAR WARS entry)
ENTER THE DRAGON
ERASERHEAD
EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF AND GOD AGAINST ALL
EVIL DEAD II
EXORCIST, THE
FAME
FANNY AND ALEXANDER
FANTASTIC VOYAGE
FATHER OF THE BRIDE
FIVE EASY PIECES
FORBIDDEN GAMES
FORBIDDEN PLANET
42ND STREET
400 BLOWS, THE
FRANKENSTEIN
FREAKS
FRENCH CONNECTION, THE
FRIENDLY PERSUASION
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
FUNNY GIRL
GANDHI
GARDEN OF THE FINZI CONTINIS, THE
GATE OF HELL
GENERAL, THE
GIANT
GIGI
GODFATHER, THE
GOING MY WAY
GOLD RUSH, THE
GONE WITH THE WIND
GOOD EARTH, THE
GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, THE
GOODBYE GIRL, THE
GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS
GRADUATE, THE
GRAND HOTEL
GRAND ILLUSION
GRAPES OF WRATH, THE
GREAT ESCAPE, THE
GREAT EXPECTATIONS
GREAT ZIEGFELD, THE
GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, THE
GREMLINS
GUNFIGHTER, THE
GUNGA DIN
HALLOWEEN
HAMLET
HARD DAY'S NIGHT, A
HAROLD AND MAUDE
HARRY AND TONTO
HAUNTING, THE
HEARTLAND
HEAVEN CAN WAIT
HEIDI
HEIRESS, THE
HENRY V
HERE COMES MR. JORDAN
HIGH NOON
HIROSHIMA, MON AMOUR
HIS GIRL FRIDAY
HOLIDAY
HOLIDAY INN
HOPE AND GLORY
HOSPITAL, THE
HUD
HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, THE
HUSTLER, THE
I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE
IF...
IN COLD BLOOD
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, THE
INFORMER, THE
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS
INVISIBLE MAN, THE
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
IVAN THE TERRIBLE
JAWS
JEZEBEL
JOHNNY GUITAR
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG
JULES AND JIM
KARATE KID, THE
KILLING FIELDS, THE
KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS
KING AND I, THE
KING KONG
KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN
KLUTE
KRAMER VS. KRAMER
L'AVVENTURA
LA CAGE AUX FOLLES
LA DOLCE VITA
LA STRADA
LADY AND THE TRAMP
LADY EVE, THE
LADY VANISHES, THE
LAST DETAIL, THE
LAST EMPEROR, THE
LAST TANGO IN PARIS
LATE SHOW, THE
LAURA
LAVENDER HILL MOB, THE
LENNY
LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP, THE
LION IN WINTER, THE
LITTLE BIG MAN
LITTLE CAESAR
LITTLE FOXES, THE
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
LITTLE WOMEN
LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER
LOCAL HERO
LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
LONG GOOD FRIDAY, THE
LOST HORIZON
LOST WEEKEND, THE
LOVE BUG, THE
M*A*S*H
MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, THE
MALTESE FALCON, THE
MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, A
MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, THE
MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, THE
MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, THE
MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, THE
MANHATTAN
MARRIAGE OF MARIA BRAUN, THE
MARTY
MARY POPPINS
MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER
MEAN STREETS
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
MELVIN AND HOWARD
METROPOLIS
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
MILDRED PIERCE
MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
MIRACLE ON 34TH ST.
MIRACLE WORKER, THE
MISTER ROBERTS
MODERN TIMES
MON ONCLE
MONTY PYTHON & THE HOLY GRAIL
MOONSTRUCK
MORGAN: A SUITABLE CASE FOR TREATMENT
MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
MUMMY, THE
MUPPET MOVIE, THE
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
MUSIC MAN, THE
MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY
MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
MY FAIR LADY
MY LIFE AS A DOG
MY MAN GODFREY
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND
NASHVILLE
NATIONAL VELVET
NETWORK
NEVER CRY WOLF
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
NIGHT OF THE OPERA
NIGHT TO REMEMBER, A
NINOTCHKA
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
NORTH DALLAS FORTY
NOTORIOUS
NUTTY PROFESSOR, THE
O LUCKY MAN!
ODD MAN OUT
OFFICIAL STORY, THE
OLD YELLER
OLIVER
OLIVER TWIST
ON THE BEACH
ON THE TOWN
ON THE WATERFRONT
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
ORDINARY PEOPLE
OUR TOWN
OUT OF THE PAST
OX-BOW INCIDENT, THE
PALM BEACH STORY, THE
PANDORA'S BOX
PAPER MOON
PARALLAX VIEW, THE
PASSENGER, THE
PATHS OF GLORY
PATTON
PAWNBROKER, THE
PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
PETULIA
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
RE-ANIMATOR
PHILADELPHIA STORY, THE
PILLOW TALK
PINK PANTHER, THE
PINOCCHIO
PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE
PLANET OF THE APES
PLATOON
POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, THE
POTEMKIN
PRESIDENT'S ANALYST, THE
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
PRINCE AND THE PAUPER, THE
PRIZZI'S HONOR
PRODUCERS, THE
PSYCHO
PYGMALION
QUARTET
QUIET MAN, THE
RAGING BULL
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
RAIN MAN
RAISIN IN THE SUN, A
RAISING ARIZONA
RAN
RASHOMON
REAR WINDOW
REBECCA
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE
RED RIVER
RED SHOES, THE
REPO MAN
REPULSION
RETURN OF THE JEDI (see STAR WARS entry)
RICHARD III
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY
RIGHT STUFF, THE
RISKY BUSINESS
ROAD WARRIOR, THE
ROCKY
ROMAN HOLIDAY
ROMANCING THE STONE
ROMEO AND JULIET
ROSEMARY'S BABY
RUGGLES OF RED GAP
RULES OF THE GAME
RULING CLASS, THE
SAMURAI I, II, III
SAN FRANCISCO
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
SCARFACE
SEARCHERS, THE
SECRET OF NIMH, THE
SEPARATE TABLES
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
SEVEN SAMURAI, THE
SEVENTH SEAL, THE
SHANE
SHE DONE HIM WRONG
SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
SHOP AROUND THE CORNER, THE
SHOP ON MAIN ST, THE
SID AND NANCY
SILVERADO
SINGING IN THE RAIN
SKIN GAME, THE
SLEEPER
SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT
SOLDIER OF ORANGE
SOLDIER'S STORY, A
SOME LIKE IT HOT
SONG OF BERNADETTE
SONS OF THE DESERT
SOUND OF MUSIC, THE
SOUNDER
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE
STAGE DOOR
STAGECOACH
STALAG 17
STAND AND DELIVER
STAR IS BORN, A
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK
STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME
STAR WARS
STARS LOOK DOWN, THE
STELLA DALLAS
STING, THE
STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
STRAW DOGS
STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, A
STUNT MAN, THE
SUNDAYS AND CYBELE
SUNDOWNERS, THE
SUNSET BOULEVARD
SUPERMAN
SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
SWING TIME
SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON
TALE OF TWO CITIES, A
TAMING OF THE SHREW
TAXI DRIVER
TAXING WOMAN, A
TEN COMMANDMENTS, THE
TERMINATOR, THE
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
TESS
THEM
THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?
THIEF OF BAGHDAD, THE
THIN MAN, THE
THING, THE
THIRD MAN, THE
39 STEPS, THE
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
3:10 TO YUMA
TIME AFTER TIME
TIME MACHINE, THE
TIN DRUM, THE
TO BE OR NOT TO BE
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
TOM JONES
TOM THUMB
TOOTSIE
TOP HAT
TOPPER
TOUCH OF EVIL
TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, THE
TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, A
TUNES OF GLORY
TWELVE ANGRY MEN
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
TWO WOMEN
UMBERTO D
UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING, THE
UNTOUCHABLES, THE
VERTIGO
VICTOR/VICTORIA
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED
VIRGIN SPRING, THE
VIVA ZAPATA
WAGES OF FEAR, THE
WALK IN THE SUN, A
WAR OF THE WORLDS
WEST SIDE STORY
WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND
WHITE HEAT
WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
WICKER MAN, THE
WILD BUNCH, THE
WISE BLOOD
WITNESS
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
WIZARD OF OZ, THE
WOLF MAN, THE
WOMAN IN THE DUNES
WOMAN OF THE YEAR
WOMEN, THE
WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP, THE
WORLD OF APU, THE
WUTHERING HEIGHTS
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
YEARLING, THE
YOJIMBO
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
YOUNG MR. LINCOLN

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com