Re: DVD cataloging

Roberta Astroff (r4a@psulias.psu.edu)
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:38:22 -0700 (PDT)

--Boundary_(ID_hzGlAKla7PhNFnmsSNyteg)

Leanne,

I agree that some decisions like this would have to be made when cataloging
videos according to LC, but catalogers face those same questions everyday
when it comes to journals and monographs, don't they? For example, most of
Michel Foucault's books, used perhaps most widely by scholars in literature
and history, are classed as B, or philosophy, or in P, about language, but
his "The Birth of the Clinic: An Archaeology of Medical Perception" and
"Madness and Civilization" (which I sincerely doubt have been added to
medical school curricula) have been classed here as R. And the English
translation of Archaeology of Knowledge is classed neither in B nor in P,
but in AZ, while the original French text (L'archeologie du savoir) is
classed under Archaeology - Methodology in CC.

Roberta Astroff

At 11:57 AM 7/28/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Rhonda-
>I agree there's no reason for using accession numbers for DVDs, if you're
>using LC for videos. However, in the spirit of healthy debate, I'd like
>to say that I find using accession numbers for all of our videos and DVDs
>works quite well, as long as the media does not need to be integrated with
>the book collections. The main reason I say this, is that documentaries
>especially often cross borders between disciplines. For example, is
>"Killing us Softly III" more Women's Studies or Journalism? Where does
>"Looking for Langston" go: African American Studies or Literature? Would
>the 1994 version of "Romeo and Juliet" be put under Shakespeare or not,
>since it is a loose adaptation? There are pros and cons to accession
>numbering of course, but I shudder to think of the difficulties we'd have
>moving to LC. Just my $0.02.
>

>LeeAnne L. Krause
>Manager of Educational Films
>USC Film Library
>803-777-2858
><http://www.sc.edu/library/film.html>www.sc.edu/library/film.html

>hi everyone!
>
>we catalog our video collection using LC. i think we used LC for the
>videos as they were consistent with the rest of the library's collection,
>and they would be grouped in subjects, where for educational materials that
>makes sense.
>We are currently beginning to build our DVD collection, and so far we have
>been using an accession numbering system, athough to be honest, i'm not
>sure why....
>how are you all cataloging your media collections? is anyone using LC or
>accession numbers? i'm curious...
>
>Rhonda
>

>Rhonda Rosen
>Media & Reserve Services Dept.
>Loyola Marymount University phone: (310)338-4584
>7900 Loyola Blvd.
>Los Angeles, CA 90045-8206
>email:rrosen@lmu.edu
>
>Media & Reserve web page: <http://lib.lmu.edu/mr/>http://lib.lmu.edu/mr/
>personal page: <http://myweb.lmu.edu/rrosen/>http://myweb.lmu.edu/rrosen/

**************************************
Roberta J. Astroff, Ph.D.
Humanities Librarian
Coordinator, Digital Resource Center
Arts and Humanities Library
319 Pattee Library West
Penn State University
University Park PA 16802

r4a@psulias.psu.edu
(814) 865-0660

[...]

(814) 865-0660 --Boundary_(ID_hzGlAKla7PhNFnmsSNyteg)--