Re: DVD cataloging

Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

My problem with this argument is that it also applies to books and
journals, yet no one suggests that we put them on the shelves in accession
number order. We pick a classification, then use subject headings to
fully analyze the content. That's what we should also do for
videorecordings in all formats.

For an official stance on this issue, take a look at the ACRL Guidelines
for Media Resources in Libraries:
http://www.ala.org/acrl/guides/medresg.html
They firmly support cataloging media resources in the same way that print
materials are cataloged. -- Kris

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, LeeAnne Krause wrote:

> Hi Rhonda- I agree there's no reason for using accession numbers for
> DVDs, if you're using LC for videos. However, in the spirit of healthy
> debate, I'd like to say that I find using accession numbers for all of
> our videos and DVDs works quite well, as long as the media does not need
> to be integrated with the book collections. The main reason I say this,
> is that documentaries especially often cross borders between
> disciplines. For example, is "Killing us Softly III" more Women's
> Studies or Journalism? Where does "Looking for Langston" go: African
> American Studies or Literature? Would the 1994 version of "Romeo and
> Juliet" be put under Shakespeare or not, since it is a loose adaptation?
> There are pros and cons to accession numbering of course, but I shudder
> to think of the difficulties we'd have moving to LC. Just my $0.02.
>

> LeeAnne L. Krause
> Manager of Educational Films
> USC Film Library
> 803-777-2858
> www.sc.edu/library/film.html

> hi everyone!
>
> we catalog our video collection using LC. i think we used LC for the
> videos as they were consistent with the rest of the library's collection,
> and they would be grouped in subjects, where for educational materials that
> makes sense.
> We are currently beginning to build our DVD collection, and so far we have
> been using an accession numbering system, athough to be honest, i'm not
> sure why....
> how are you all cataloging your media collections? is anyone using LC or
> accession numbers? i'm curious...
>
> Rhonda
>

> Rhonda Rosen
> Media & Reserve Services Dept.
> Loyola Marymount University phone: (310)338-4584
> 7900 Loyola Blvd.
> Los Angeles, CA 90045-8206
> email:rrosen@lmu.edu
>
> Media & Reserve web page: http://lib.lmu.edu/mr/
> personal page: http://myweb.lmu.edu/rrosen/

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405