RE: DVD cataloging

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 04:47:21 -0700 (PDT)

Until recently, our videos were cataloged by category - very broad topics
such as health, science, travel, etc. With our conversion of videos from
closed access to open shelves, we are switching all our nonfiction to Dewey
categories. This change is involving additions to the bib record of many of
the titles - all for the better. Our feature films are cataloged by title
and are given a category - adventure, drama, foreign, silents, etc. We just
put in an order for DVDs, and these will follow the same policy. Hope this
helps.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhonda Rosen [mailto:rrosen@popmail.lmu.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 2:56 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: DVD cataloging

hi everyone!

we catalog our video collection using LC. i think we used LC for the
videos as they were consistent with the rest of the library's collection,
and they would be grouped in subjects, where for educational materials that
makes sense.
We are currently beginning to build our DVD collection, and so far we have
been using an accession numbering system, athough to be honest, i'm not
sure why....
how are you all cataloging your media collections? is anyone using LC or
accession numbers? i'm curious...

Rhonda

Rhonda Rosen
Media & Reserve Services Dept.
Loyola Marymount University phone: (310)338-4584
7900 Loyola Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90045-8206
email:rrosen@lmu.edu

Media & Reserve web page: http://lib.lmu.edu/mr/