Re: Cover art

Joan Goodwin (mediasup@library.sdsu.edu)
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:15:07 -0700 (PDT)

I have the same problem with some of my material.
For a few, I saved the image as a jpg from a retail website.
I increased the size and printed out on a color printer.
But I have only done this a few times, and for material
that was lacking any kind of display box. I also wonder if
there is a copyright issue here.....

At 07:11 AM 7/24/01 -0700, you wrote:
>We all know you can't judge a book by its cover and yet ugly covers
>discourage circulation of some wonderful materials. What copyright
>issues do we need to consider when creating cover art for materials
>whose original cover art is less than attractive? Also, what about cover
>art that is damaged. Can we use images depicting the item from another
>source? For example, could I find a pictureof Mickey Mouse and use it to
>replace the damaged cover of "The Spirit of Mickey?" Any thoughts?
>June

Joan Freeman Goodwin
Media Center Supervisor

Library and Information Access email:jgoodwin@mail.sdsu.edu
San Diego State University phone:(619)594-6759
San Diego, California 92182-8050 fax : (619)594-0718