Re: Performance taping copyright question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

--MS_Mac_OE_3078564142_5626244_MIME_Part

As far as I know you always need permission for performing and or
broadcasting a copyrighted work and I am afraid that it may be very
difficult and expensive for the two authors you mentioned. Any chance you
can change it to a reading of works no longer IN copyright
( Mark Twain, Melville etc) It would make your life a lot easier

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International

From: "Gena Zelenka" <gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us> Reply-To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:26:40 -0700 (PDT) To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject: Performance taping copyright question

Good Morning! I have a copyright question that's not quite what I see you all usually dealing with but was hoping I might get some advice with re: the taping of an actor (non-union) here at my library. We are paying him a fee. We would like to tape him for our Library Cable Network channel which airs over cable TV on a government/educational channel here in Illinois. We will own the rights to the taped program. He will receive a copy for his personal use. He will be giving a dramatic reading performance of a James M. Cain and Dashiell Hammett short story. Do I need to get permission to do this? If so, do I have to it through the publisher or estate? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks in advance for any response, Gena Gena K. Zelenka A/V and Programming Librarian Reader Services Park Ridge Public Library 20 S. Prospect Ave. Park Ridge, IL 60068 847-825-3123 Fax: 847-825-0001 gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us

--MS_Mac_OE_3078564142_5626244_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Re: Performance taping copyright question As far as I know you always need permission for performing and or broadcast= ing a copyrighted work and I am afraid that it may be very difficult and exp= ensive for the two authors you mentioned. Any chance you can change it to a = reading of works no longer IN copyright