Re: Video Hand Saver

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:50:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Constance, From the other 2 replies you've received concerning this
question, I'm not sure if you're referring to a device used in technical
services to actually open the box (similar to a letter opener) and the
plastic wrap OR if you're referring to a device primarily used at the
circulation desk to open the plastic containers for checkout/visual
inspection/rewinding, etc. (this device is a flat piece of metal in the
shape of a ironing board/wedge that is slightly narrower at the top and
gradually increases in width, so that it "wedges" the case open - they
adhere to countertop via foam tape). We use them at our library and it
significantly reduces carpel tunnel sydrome and hand stree for multiple
checkouts day-in, day out. Available from Video Store Shopper, Specialty
Store Services. (www.shopperinc.com; www.specstoreserv.com) Jim Scholtz,
Yankton (SD) Community Library. Some of your staff will like them and use
them, others won't.

At 08:15 AM 7/19/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone of you used this product "Video Hand Saver" ? It is a device to
>open VHS cases and prevent hurting fingers. Some staff suggeted to purchase
>it, and I'd like to know your experience. Or is there any similar product
>out there? Any comment is appreciated.
>

>Constance Hsi
>Team Leader, Multimedia Team
>TSD, Queens Borough Public Library