Re: favorite films by women

Tom Hyland (tom@frif.com)
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:25:56 -0700 (PDT)

--=====================_15459148==_.ALT

At 10:25 AM 7/17/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm looking for recommendations of your favorite films by women directors
>for a local film society. I gave them some of my favorites, but I'm sure
>there are many great ones I don't know about. They have catalogs to look at,
>but always appreciate personal recommendations.

Hi Eileen,

My all time favorite film by a woman director:

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles by Chantal Akerman...a
masterpiece, in my opinion.

I would also include:

Decline of Western Civilisation Part 1 - Penelope Spheeris
Swept Away - Lina Wertmuller
Invisible Adversaries - Valie Export
My New Gun - Stacy Cochran
Cleo from 5 to 7 - Agnes Varda
Vagabond - Agnes Varda
Fuses - Carolee Schneeman
Mickey and Nicky - Elaine May
An Agel at My Table - Jane Campion

Off the top of my head...I'm sure I am forgetting something.

There you go,