RE: Use of polypropylene video cases

Carol Dunn (dunnca1@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:30:39 -0700 (PDT)

Our videos get thousands of check outs. This
might have something to do with it as well. I really
do not think mag media can last forever. Same thing with
audio tapes for my car, they wear out pretty quickly.
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Brigid Duffy
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 7:27 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Use of polypropylene video cases

What happens to plastic in Ohio? We've been using video cassettes since
the 70s without any smell developing. We repackage everything into a
standard black plastic case, so maybe the smell comes from whatever
plastic is used in the original case. Or maybe it's just the atmosphere in
San Francisco...

The best preservation advice I have is fast forward and rewind all tapes
that aren't used (or all tapes, period) once a year. That keeps the iron
oxide (where the recording is) from sticking to the back of the section of
tape it's resting against. That matters far more than polypropylene cases.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200