RE: Use of polypropylene video cases

Carol Dunn (dunnca1@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

Magnetic Media cannot last forever. So why spend more on it?
After about ten years, they develop a strong smell. Reminds me
of old celluloid. At that time you must get rid of them.
Carol Dunn
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
www.findlay.lib.oh.us
Telephone: 419.422.1712
Fax: 419.422-0638

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jane Agee
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 2:48 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Use of polypropylene video cases

Greetings,
On this Friday the 13th afternoon, I need to tap your collective
knowledge regarding the use of non-acidic video cases for both cassettes
and DVD? Our preservationist suggested we change to polypropylene cases.
Does anyone have any information or experience with this?
I've not found anything to support changing cases, nor did we receive any
comments when this question was posted on the archivist database. Will
polypropylene cases really extend the life of a video ! ?
TIA, Jane

Jane Agee,
Duke University Library
Durham, NC 27708