Re: weight question

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

Stephanie, it would depend on whether you are dealing with compact storage
or regular shelving. Compact storage for films is very dense and usually
requires floors that can support the weight, which means that you should
already have those floors in the space you want the film storage to go
otherwise you may have problems. Contact your University Facilities
Planning Architect or Engineer to find out which parts of which buildings
have floors that can support compact shelving for 16mm film. Compact
shelving for video tends not to be a problem.

Oksana

At 08:12 AM 7/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Can anyone give me an approximate figure for what a typical library shelf
>(36") of plastic cased videos weighs (lb/sq. ft.)? Also, what the lb/sq.
>ft. is for 16 mil. film??? Thanks for your help!
>

>Stephanie J. Frontz
>Art Librarian, Hd. Multimedia Center
>University of Rochester
>River Campus Library
>Rochester, NY 14627
>(716) 275-4476
>sfrontz@rcl.lib.rochester.edu

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8