Re: Profiles in Courage

Suzanne Colligan (bibigalini@hotmail.com)
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:44:14 -0700 (PDT)

Charles,
I'm a *huge* JFK fan and many have suggested that he didn't really write
"Profiles in Courage". If you'll refer to the book, you'll see he thanks his
wife who pushed the project while he was recovering from back surgery (he
almost died). JFK also thanks his "reasearch assistant" Theodore Sorensen
who would later become a speech writer for him. Christopher Matthews'
"Kennedy & Nixon" makes a case that Jos. Kennedy Sr. helped greatly in not
only getting the book produced but also in garnering the Pulitzer. A
columnist claimed on a Mike Wallace ABC TV show that the book had been
ghostwritten. ABC made a retraction and Sorensen said, "The author is the
man who stands behind what is on the printed page...". (p. 114-116)

Suzanne Colligan, M.L.S.
Librarian
Fiction/Audiovisual Dept.
Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, Central
1 Lafayette Sq.
Buffalo, NY 14203
(716) 858-7124

***Opinions are all mine, no one else wants them.***

>From: Charles Timberlake <ctimberl@sjvls.lib.ca.us>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: Profiles in Courage
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
>
>But I thought the book was ghost-written. Does anybody out there know for
>certain?
>
>On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Trent Nicholas wrote:
>
> > I could not help but add: JFK's book was very famous and respected at
>the
> > time-especially the idea that a president would write such a fine book.
> > (Can you imagine W....?) I remember seeing some episodes of the TV
>series
> > as a kid and loving them and they were inspirational to anyone
>growing-up,
> > simply, to be brave. I hope they are available and hold up today.
> > Trent Nicholas
> > Statewide Media Resource Coordinator
> > Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
> > 804/204-2681