RE: new library ideas

Gena Zelenka (gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us)
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Both Northbrook & Warren Newport public libraries in Illinois have something
like this. You may want to give them a ring! Gena

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Rhonda Rosen
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 10:29 AM
To: Gena Zelenka
Subject: new library ideas

hi everyone,

we are in the very beginning stages of planning our new library. I'm
hoping you guys can help me with some ideas, suggestions - maybe things you
wish you could have in your media areas if you were to begin again - maybe
things that are on the cutting edge that you would suggest i plan for...

also, we are looking seriously at using an automated retrieval system.
If anyone is using one of these systems, can you tell me if you use it for
media items? from what i gather temperature control may actually be better
where they are housed in the ARS than in many of our library areas, but i'm
wondering if they really would be okay...

another question - we were thinking of having an area where we would have a
large screen monitor with 24 hour news playback or satellite programming
-but sound concern is a problem -can't have it blasting in the library, yet
i would want it where people can wander by, sit down on couches maybe and
watch...any ideas on this?

ok, anyone have any great ideas?
thanks-
rhonda