Re: new library ideas

Mark Richie (Media2@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:56:14 -0700 (PDT)

I think a full time set of screens with CNN, weather channel et al is a
great idea. If you can design an alcove with an open archway so people
can see in to the seating area and monitors as they pass by, the bleed
over of sound can be controled by placing the speakers in the floor or
cieling and covering the walls with SONEX (tm) or similar sound
dampening material. Sonex comes in a variety of sheet sizes from 12 in
square to 4 ft by 4 ft, and a variety of thicknesses depending on what
sound frequency you want to control.

I saw a demo booth some years ago at a trade show and it was very weird
to go inside and look out a 6 x 8 opening to the noisy display floor and
hear almost nothing inside - the reverse was true also.

Sonex is commonly used in sound recording studios and can be seen in
the background of some sets of ST: Voyager.

We used it far a lot of years to control the whine of 6 16mm film
inspection machines.

An acoustical consultant can tell you what you will need - or even if
this is the right soultion.

Good luck with the building program!