Re: Media Used in Videoconference Course

Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

Lisa, et. al.

It looks as if Senate bill 487 would truly have a profound effect on the
performance of media in educational settings if it actually passed, but I
was only able to find the following listed for May 17 legsislative
proceedings:

"BUSINESS MEETING

Committee on the Judiciary: Committee ordered favorably reported the
following business items:

S. 487, to amend chapter 1 of title 17, United States Code, relating to the
exemption of certain performances or displays for educational uses from
copyright infringement provisions, to provide that the making of a single
copy of such performances or displays is not an infringement, with an
amendment in the nature of a substitute; and"

I confess my knowledge of protocol on Capitol Hill is not very good, but
wouldn't there have to be an actual vote on this in the Senate for it to
pass?

Here's the link to the full text of what's under consideration
(http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:2:./temp/~c107eVln3W:: ), but
the following excerpt gives you an idea of what they're talking about:

"In paragraph (2), the term `mediated instructional activities' with respect
to the performance or display of a work by digital transmission under this
section refers to activities that use such work as an integral part of the
class experience, controlled by or under the actual supervision of the
instructor and analogous to the type of performance or display that would
take place in a live classroom setting. "

Keep in mind that this is an excerpt from a proposed bill and not, as far as
I've been able to determine, actual law yet (so don't do anything illegal
gang :)

Best,

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com