Re: Described videos

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 07:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, this is just my 2 worth. I'm not an "official" AV cataloger but I do
all the AV cataloging for my public library. I'm a library director in a
small SD public library. Don't beat around the bush with terms - use a
term that might be known by patrons and librarians (catalogers too!) alike.
Such as "Described videos." and put it in a 690 field. So what if it's
not LC authority file/Sears correct? As long as your system will index it
and retrieve it as a subject heading, you can convert the SH into a a new
system if necessary, and you are consistent in its application/use, I think
you'd be way ahead in terms of patron useability. PS - we also use 2 other
690, home-grown SH: Public performance rights videorecordings and Closed
captioned videorecordings. These seem to work for us. Jim Scholtz,
Yankton Community LIbrary.

At 01:40 PM 6/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Mary:
>I asked our cataloguers what they do, and here is one reply:
>
>500 $a Verbal description for the visually impaired.
>650-4 $a Video recordings for the visually impaired.
>
>----
>At 01:07 PM 5/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>>When you have "described videos" for the blind or visually impaired, how
>>are you tagging these so they are searchable to your patrons? I found a
>>subject heading "video description" but wonder how you are handling
>>these in your libraries. Is there a general statement similar to "closed
>>captioned for the hearing impaired" that would be useful in a note field
>>also? Thanks for your help.
>>Mary Dexter
>>Arapahoe Library District
>>Littleton, CO
>
>--- --- --- ^^^ --- ^^^ --- --- ---
>Susan Weber, M.L.S.
>Media Librarian
>Langara College
>Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre (AEMAC)
>http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac
>100 West 49th Avenue
>Vancouver, British Columbia Canada V5Y 2Z6
>Tel. (604) 323-5533 Fax. (604) 323-5475
> email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Emacs!