RE: Described videos

Cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us
Thu, 31 May 2001 08:35:10 -0700 (PDT)

Mary,

In the catalog records for our described videos,

The 500 fields read, variously: --Described verbally for the visually
impaired.
--DESCRIBED VIDEO.
--"This film is described for
people who are blind or have low
vision"--container label.

The 690 fields read: Described video recordings.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS 66212
913-495-2496
cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Dexter [mailto:mdexter@ald.lib.co.us]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 3:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Described videos

When you have "described videos" for the blind or visually impaired, how
are you tagging these so they are searchable to your patrons? I found a
subject heading "video description" but wonder how you are handling
these in your libraries. Is there a general statement similar to "closed
captioned for the hearing impaired" that would be useful in a note field
also? Thanks for your help.
Mary Dexter
Arapahoe Library District
Littleton, CO