Re: X, XX, XXX -- is there a difference?

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 29 May 2001 06:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

--MS_Mac_OE_3073972934_20069296_MIME_Part

X which was used by the MPPA from I think the late sixties till the early
nineties. It was replaced by the NC-17 rating around 1993. The XX, XXX
ratings were nothing but SALES pitches by porn produceres. There is no such
rating and they did not submit films for ratings. They basically just made
this up as a sales technique, so any reference to XX or higher just
basically means it is a porn flic. Since the X rating is no longer used and
since films are basically re submitted for video rating, you won't really
find the "official" X rating used anymore.
Many companies object or simply do not use the ratings system and thus most
foreign and many independent films just go out "unrated" but this rarely
indicates any pornographic content

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International

From: "LeeAnne Krause" <LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu> Reply-To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:02:48 -0700 (PDT) To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject: Re: X, XX, XXX -- is there a difference?

I guess I had more or less assumed it had to do with the type of pornography, such as consentual adult human sex being X, and bestiality, S&M, etc Etc ETC being XX and XXX. Will anyone on the list admit to knowing for sure? :)

LeeAnne L. Krause Manager of Educational Films USC Film Library 803-777-2858 www.sc.edu/library/film.html <http://www.sc.edu/library/film.html>

>>> mboedicker@hotmail.com 05/25/01 12:30PM >>> The cover story of last Sunday's New York Times Magazine, about the pornographic video industry, indicated there are real differences between X, XX, and XXX-rated films -- although sadly it didn't elaborate. I've always read that the double and triple X ratings are purely a marketing gimmick with no significance (they're certainly not part of the MPAA system). Anyone know the answer to this admittedly trivial question?

Mike Boedicker Audiovisual Director & Webmaster Danville Public Library 319 N. Vermilion Danville, IL 61832 (217) 477-5223 ext. 123 Fax: (217) 477-5230 http://www.danville.lib.il.us

--MS_Mac_OE_3073972934_20069296_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Re: X, XX, XXX -- is there a difference? X which was used by the MPPA from I think the late sixties till the early = nineties. It was replaced by the NC-17 rating around 1993. The XX, XXX ratin= gs were nothing but SALES pitches by porn produceres. There is no such ratin= g  and they did not submit films for ratings. They basically just made = this up as a sales technique, so any reference to XX or higher just basicall= y means it is a porn flic.  Since the X rating is no longer used and si= nce films are basically re submitted  for video rating, you won't reall= y find the "official" X rating used anymore.