Re: public performance rights, again

Blaine Waterman (blainew@sfpl.lib.ca.us)
Mon, 21 May 2001 16:31:35 -0700 (PDT)

My understanding is that the umbrella license is ludicrously expensive for
the scale of exhibition you're contemplating. Might be easier and cheaper
to rent tape or 16mm from a distributor with PPR built into the rental
price. Classic fims are usually $150-$250 from them. Sorry, distributor
names are escaping me for the moment....

Blaine

>> From: Susan Shaw <sshaw@ci.sat.tx.us>
>> Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>> Subject: public performance rights, again
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> After looking through the archives, I'm a little puzzled about that MPLC
>> (?), from which you can obtain ppr for a year, say, for all the films
you're
>> going to show once.
>>
>> Here's the deal: our library wants to show a movie a month during our
>> centennial year. At this point, I think we're doing one showing per film.
>> I had thought we needed ppr for each film, but maybe we could just do one
>> payment to this corporation or organization---can't recall the name and my
>> notes are somewhere else--that would be *so* much easier. Can it be
true???

>> Susan Shaw
>> San Antonio Public Library

Blaine Waterman