Re: rock n roll movies

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Tue, 15 May 2001 08:13:12 -0700 (PDT)

One more that no one seems to have caught yet:

Privilege (1967). British pseudo-doc sf social criticism
from Peter Watkin, and starring ex-Manfred Mann group
member Paul Jones. Actually, a pretty provocative--for
the time--speculation on the rock phenomenon's ties with
religion and social control.

Problem is, no video--this one's been elusive for years
and years. Perhaps some else (Jessica?) can speak to its
availability in theatrical rental formats.

Jeff

On Mon, 14 May 2001 10:13:50 -0700 (PDT) Barb Bergman
<barbara.bergman@angelo.edu> wrote:

> Here's something for you to brainstorm about:
>
> I have a professor putting together a syllabus for a "History of Rock 'n
> Roll" class. We have documentaries covered, but she also wants to make use
> of feature films. They can about specific musicians, about the music
> industry, or simply where rock music is an important part of the movie.
>
> She said she's especially having problems coming up with ideas for films
> (documentary or feature) dealing with the 90s. Grunge, alternative, etc.
> (But just checked out the two series by PBS and Time Warner for previewing...)
>
> Anyway, here are the film titles I've come up with so far:
> The Rose
> La Bamba
> Buddy Holly Story
> That thing you do
> Yellow Submarine
> Elvis movies
> Almost famous
> Spinal Tap
> Selena
> Grease
> Saturday Night Fever
> Back to the Future (dance scene "Johnny be good")
> Footloose
> Pink Floyd's The Wall
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Barb