FW: rock n roll movies

Lara Weigand (lweigand@worthingtonlibraries.org)
Mon, 14 May 2001 11:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

>She said she's especially having problems coming up with ideas for films
>(documentary or feature) dealing with the 90s. Grunge, alternative, etc.

Hype! (1996)(documentary about the rise and fall of the Grunge scene) - very
good
Sonic Youth: 1991: The Year Punk Broke (1993)- (have not seen)
Kurt and Courtney (1998) - controversial doc, says Cobain killed by wife
Courtney (have not seen)
Singles (1996) - director of "almost Famous", set in grunge-era Seattle
(enjoyable, lots of music in-jokes)
High Fidelity - record store owner/music geek is main character. great film,
lots of Gen X appeal.
Modulations (1998) - techno documentary

Punk:

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains. OP and hard to find, but good.
rise and fall of all girl band.
Breaking Glass (1980)?? remember this as punk movie, but can't remember much
about it.
The Filth and the Fury (2000) - sex pistols (doc?)
Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle(1980) -- sex pistols (doc?)
Clash: Rude Boy (1980) (doc?)
The Decline of Western Civilization (1980) - OP, but excellent. mostly
concert footage of LA
Urgh! A Music War (1981) OP, concert footage only.

Disco:
Thank God it's Friday (wretched, but only period piece I can think of
besides:)
Can't Stop the Music (also wretched, but stars the Village People)
Studio 54 (good film, biopic of nightclub owner)

Biopics:

Sid and Nancy (1986) - Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols
Great Balls of Fire (1989)- Jerry lee Lewis
The Doors (1991) -Oliver Stone
What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) Tina Turner

others:

Grace of My Heart (1996)- female songwriter in 60's
Hairspray (1988) - teens on Bandstand-type dance show, great soundtrack
The Rutles- spinal tap-esque parody of Beatles films by Monty Python folks
Backbeat (1993)- saga of fifth beatle.
I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978) comedy about teens afflicted by Beatlemania
The Commitments (1991) - saga of an Irish R&B/Soul band
The Five Heartbeats (1991)- same plot as the Commitments but afro-american
Velvet Goldmine (1998)- 70's glam-era england, fictionalized story of
Bowie-type rocker.
Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (1988) -
documentary, concert footage. also OP.
Cry-Baby- John Waters take on the 50's juvenile delinquent film
Airheads (1994)- comedy about music industry/difficulty of getting airplay.
Good despite prescence of Adam Sandler.
Dazed and Confused- follow up effort by "Slacker" director about growing up
in the late 70's
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - classic high school life picture
Go (1999) - has subplot about raves/drugs

American Grafitti (can't believe no one's mentioned it yet!)
Woodstock (ditto)

Lara Weigand
A/v Librarian
Northwest Library