Re: electronic services

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 10 May 2001 13:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

This is fascinating yet very sad stuff . It appears that in some
institutions librarians, library technicians, IT systems analysts and
computer technicians are all interchangeable. When you look at position
announcements for technicians and analysts you see that requirements range
from very little education above high school to a BA level degree.
Librarians, on the other hand are expected to have an MLS degree and some
institutions are favoring an additional Master's level degree. The inequity
at many institutions is that technicians with 2 years beyond high school
make just about the same salary as an entry-level librarian. If they begin
their careers just after finishing their educations, the technician is
earning more than the librarian since he/she has been at the job longer by
about 5 years.

Entry level, in my pay-equity-mind, means exactly that. The candidate is
fresh out of Library school. Any entry-level position cannot justifiably
require several years of professional experience, nor should it be a
supervisory position. It is flat-out wrong for an institution to require
experience and not pay for it.

Oksana

At 12:43 PM 5/10/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Mark,
>How did you you get hold of the job ad already? <grin>
>I wish I was joking, but unfortunately the _salary_ offerred for the
>electronic services position will most likely be entry level in spite of
>the need for experience.
>Barb
>
>At 12:18 PM 5/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >Greetings earthlings:
> >
> > This job title is starting to appear in public library service as
> well.
> >I believe it is a good idea if only to cut down on the duplication of
> >effort either between departments and branches, or in overlap of content
> >in competing on-line reference service contracts. Entry level makes no
> >sense to me because the nature of the position should require some field
> >knowledge of user needs and electronic services options.
> > Combining funtional responsibilities is just a fact of life - the
> >question is which area will get the short end of the stick. I know
> >librarians in public libraries who "supervise" the non-mediamobile
> >(bookmobile), children's services and non-media by mail programs at the
> >same time. So combining electronic services with media/av services is
> >not a big leap.
> > I'm a little amazed that as the need for this kind of position is
> >recognized, the powers-that-be even consider a librarian for the
> >position (job title not withstanding). They could ignore the content
> >issue (thanks Gary) and treat it purely as a spin-off of IT
> >responsibility and contract purchasing. Of course then they would
> >actually have to spend some real money for the position since a CNE
> >beats an MLS for entry level pay every time.
> >
> >Instead they will advertise:
> >
> > MLS librarian with 3-5 years of experience in on-line & electronic
> >reference services management, working knowledge of network
> >architectures, HTML and Java scripting. Experience in user needs
> >assessment and evaluation of electronic content. Demonstrated increasing
> >levels of job responsibility. A complete functional knowledge of
> >electronic resources contracts and purchasing requirements. The ability
> >to interface productively with vendors, supervisors and line personnel,
> >prepare contracts, install database management systems at the server
> >level, edit FORTRAN and C++, and be available to cover reference
> >services every other weekend and one night a week. Salary: Entry Level
> >- Non-Tenured
> >
> > Just my opinion, of course I could be wrong.
> >
> > MLR
> >
> >Barb Bergman wrote:
> >>
> >> A colleague not on Videolib asked me to query you experts. This
> question is
> >> part practical & part theoretical:
> >>
> >> Have you seen or heard about libraries blending together media/AV duties
> >> with the newly emerging position of "electronic services librarian" (i.e.
> >> database guru) at academic libraries?
> >>
> >> What do you see as the feasibility of doing so? What are the pros & cons?
> [...]

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-7622
Concordia University
LB-805-1, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8