Re: electronic services

Mark Richie (Media2@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:19:02 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings earthlings:

This job title is starting to appear in public library service as well.
I believe it is a good idea if only to cut down on the duplication of
effort either between departments and branches, or in overlap of content
in competing on-line reference service contracts. Entry level makes no
sense to me because the nature of the position should require some field
knowledge of user needs and electronic services options.
Combining funtional responsibilities is just a fact of life - the
question is which area will get the short end of the stick. I know
librarians in public libraries who "supervise" the non-mediamobile
(bookmobile), children's services and non-media by mail programs at the
same time. So combining electronic services with media/av services is
not a big leap.
I'm a little amazed that as the need for this kind of position is
recognized, the powers-that-be even consider a librarian for the
position (job title not withstanding). They could ignore the content
issue (thanks Gary) and treat it purely as a spin-off of IT
responsibility and contract purchasing. Of course then they would
actually have to spend some real money for the position since a CNE
beats an MLS for entry level pay every time.

Instead they will advertise:

MLS librarian with 3-5 years of experience in on-line & electronic
reference services management, working knowledge of network
architectures, HTML and Java scripting. Experience in user needs
assessment and evaluation of electronic content. Demonstrated increasing
levels of job responsibility. A complete functional knowledge of
electronic resources contracts and purchasing requirements. The ability
to interface productively with vendors, supervisors and line personnel,
prepare contracts, install database management systems at the server
level, edit FORTRAN and C++, and be available to cover reference
services every other weekend and one night a week. Salary: Entry Level
- Non-Tenured

Just my opinion, of course I could be wrong.

MLR