RE: electronic services

Becky Albitz (r2a@psulias.psu.edu)
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

Good Afternoon all:

As a former media librarian and now the Electronic Resources and Scholarly
Communications librarian for Penn State, I think I'll chime in here. Penn
State has not combined these two positions, as they never had a media
librarian position per se. But, I think some of the talents that media
librarians bring to these newly-evolving positions are a strong knowledge
of copyright and an ability to work with information in a variety of
formats. Media Librarians also have experience working with a variety of
people in all disciplines, which is also necessary for electronic resources
librarians, as these responsibilities cross over all subject areas. I
agree with Gary that it would be unfortunate to lump these two types of
positions together based solely on the "electronic" part of the
positions. In a job description analysis I am conducting for electronic
resources positions over the past five years, I have yet to see these
positions combined, at least not in positions advertised for academic
institutions.

Best,
Becky