Re: electronic services

Thu, 10 May 2001 10:51:12 -0700 (PDT)

Don't get me started...

The only connection--pardon the pun--between "electronic services" and
media librarians is the fact that both rely on alternating
current. Lumping the two together completely neglects one small
thing: content. Why not give the whole show--government documents,
manuscripts, music, maps--to the damn "electronic services"
librarian...after all, a lot of this stuff is migrating to the web. The
issue here is content and format expertise: a familiarity with the
history, uses, and basic nature of specific media or information
genres. If we don't stop obsessing about delivery and concentrate more on
maintaining our edgg and our value as selectors, organizers, and teachers
of the content we broker, we're toast as a profession...

gary handman

At 10:04 AM 05/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>A colleague not on Videolib asked me to query you experts. This question is
>part practical & part theoretical:
>
>Have you seen or heard about libraries blending together media/AV duties
>with the newly emerging position of "electronic services librarian" (i.e.
>database guru) at academic libraries?
>
>What do you see as the feasibility of doing so? What are the pros & cons?
>(i.e. why you think it's a bad idea or why it might be a good one.)
>
>Background information: their media librarian position needs to be filled,
>but the library also needs to add an electronic services position. The
>administration is unlikely to provide funding for a new position plus two
>job searches. They would prefer to hire both, but one of the brainstorming
>suggestions was to essentially advertise "Wanted: Electronic Services
>librarian with experience/interest in AV media. Salary: entry level."
>
>Thanks as always for your knowledge and opinions,
>Barb
>

>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-**-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>Barbara J. Bergman Porter Henderson Library
>Media Librarian Angelo State University
>ph: (915) 942-2313 Box 11013, ASU Station
>fax: (915) 942-2198 San Angelo, TX 76909
>Buffy: You need to have some fun.
>Giles: I'll have you know that I have very many relaxing hobbies.
>Buffy: Such as?
>Giles: I enjoy cross-referencing.

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000