RE: Licensing videos

Charly Bauer (charly@ohiolink.edu)
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:05:14 -0700 (PDT)

My particular interest is digital video in a networked environment, so I
hope I don't digress too much. The rules for digital video licensing don't
seem to exist yet, but licensing will likely play a signicant role.

Because the rules don't exist there is an opportunity for librarians to
help create a such a license. Librarians have helped create the license
terms for other resources in the form of electronic journals, e-books, and
digital images. The outcomes have been favorable for libraries and
library patrons, and librarians appear to be resolute about not opting to
purchase electronic resources with unfavorable license terms.

I don't want to pretend that an individual can haggle with ABC over the
license terms for a videotape. But as video delivery models change and
licensing evolves with those models we should understand the licensing
concepts and lobby for our interests.

Charly Bauer
OhioLINK
www.ohiolink.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On
Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 6:14 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Licensing videos

.Possibly, but in my experience licensing of videos does NOTHING but
obfuscate fair use or nullify it
altogether. Any contractual stipulation that limits the right to use
materials in face-to-face teaching or in other valid educational contexts
isn't doing librarians and their clients ANY favors--ever. The licensing
of video is almost always an either or proposition: either you buy in OR you
buy and infringe OR you don't buy at all... I've never experienced an
occasion when license rights for video were negotiable.

Gary Handman