Re: ABC News videos

sgilliam@guilford.edu
Tue, 1 May 2001 12:42:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Gary...do we have to cuss?
The original message stated that if you bought the tape without a license
it had to stay on the shelf...
that is, you can buy the tape without the license...
You are merely restating my point...that it would be unwise to sign any
agreement that prohibited the use I
intended.

Gary Handman
<ghandman@library.ber To: Multiple recipients of list
keley.edu> <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent by: cc:
videolib@library.berk Subject: Re: ABC News videos
eley.edu

05/01/01 03:22 PM
Please respond to
videolib

True about fair use Stan, but a license is a different thing altogether. A
vendor can stipulate any damn thing it wants with a license, and if you
agree to the terms (by purchasing the work), you agree to the terms. Fair
use has nothing to do with such arrangements.

gary handman

At 11:26 AM 05/01/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>I am sure that what they told you is bogus.
>The fair use guidelines clearly permit face-to face classroom use of any
>legally acquired video, and
>I believe the major networks were participants in drawing up to the
>Kastenmeier guidelines.
>
>I would not sign any agreement that prohibited the desired usage.
>

> Brigid
> Duffy
> <bduffy@sfsu.edu> To: Multiple
> recipients of list
> Sent
> by: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> videolib@library.be cc:
>
> rkeley.edu Subject: ABC News
> videos
>

> 05/01/01 11:57
> AM
> Please respond
> videolib
>

>Dear VideoLib,
>
>Just to let you know; we bought a Nightline segment from ABCNewsStore.com
>and got the site license agreement mentioned in previous e-mails (good for
>2 years, $25 renewal). I called on this; their customer service department
>said
>
>1) they will call customers on this
>
>2) any showing outside the home requires this license (even face-to-face
>classroom instruction)
>
>3) non-news shows may not require this license, but because it's a news
>show, they can require it.
>
>4) if you don't choose to pay the $25, the tape is supposed to sit on your
>shelf unused.
>
>Seeing as I can buy the same show from Films for the Humanities and
>Sciences, I wonder if it's worth the fuss...
>
>Brigid Duffy
>Audio Visual/ITV Center
>San Francisco State University
>San Francisco CA 94132-4200