Re: Copy Protection

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:48:44 -0700 (PDT)

An April fool's joke is about the best explanation
likely. Or just a calculation that with the general level
of public knowledge about stuff technical, enough people
who might causually copy would be put off by this notice.

Ain't no way *I* know it could be true. The warning
connects two prominent but disparate things in the user's
mind: VCRs and computers, hoping the notion that a
computer-type virus can be transmitted to a VCR's
mechanism will be plausible, that one type of "program"
equates to another type on videotape. Something like
that.

Jeff

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:42:53 -0700 (PDT) Debra Jo Sujka
<djsujka@acs.ryerson.ca> wrote:

> Eric Fry wrote:
> >
> > A newly purchased video came across my desk this morning. On it, it
> > contained the following label:
> >
> > Warning: DO NOT COPY!
> > A VCR virus programmed on this videotape causes severe damage to recording
> > VCR; NHV not responsible for fire or other damage if duplication is
> > attempted.
>
> My first thought is when was this copy duplicated? If it was duplicated on
> April 1 of any year .....
>

> Debra Jo Sujka
>
> Ryerson Polytechnic University
> Library - Technical Services