Re: Weeding VHS Collections

Barb Bergman (barbara.bergman@angelo.edu)
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:56:14 -0700 (PDT)

Some weeding techniques I've used:

Format -- if it's on U-matic, I check to see if we have replaced it on 1/2
inch video. Either way, when I call departments and ask, they've usually
given me the go ahead to withdraw it because they don't have the equipment.

Obsolescence -- I got rid of numerous videos about now-dead computer
programs just by making a list and asking the computer science department.

Duplicates -- I would weed duplicate video, but wouldn't weed a video just
because there's a DVD unless every classroom has a player.

Barb

At 06:18 AM 4/13/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>We are in the same space crunch that alot of you all are in and we are
>facing a weeding project this summer for our VHS collection. What I'd
>like to know from any of you in academic libraries who have done this
>recently is the criteria you used: age, condition, circ stats,
>duplicated in DVD, etc. If you have a list of items weeded or know if a
>weed list for VHS exists somewhere, I'd be much appreciative. I wish we
>didn't have to do this, but the number of videos ordered by departments
>is expanding exponentially here (even though we have stated DVD as the
>preferred format - much educational/documentary material is not yet out
>on DVD) and our space remains the same! I'm hoping the threat of a
>weeding project will prompt someone to reevaluate budget to overhaul our
>shelving!
>
>Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
>
>Roz
>--
>_______________________________
>Rosalind Tedford
>Information Technology Center Manager
>Wake Forest University
>Phone: 336-758-5910
>FAX: 336-758-8831
>tedforrl@wfu.edu
>http://www.wfu.edu/~tedforrl

Barbara J. Bergman Porter Henderson Library
Media Librarian Angelo State University
ph: (915) 942-2313 Box 11013, ASU Station
fax: (915) 942-2198 San Angelo, TX 76909
Buffy: You need to have some fun.
Giles: I'll have you know that I have very many relaxing hobbies.
Buffy: Such as?
Giles: I enjoy cross-referencing.