RE: Last minute customers

Gerald Notaro (notaro@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu)
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Mary Gontarek --- Owatonna Public Library wrote:

> All of the replies to this message were practical and helpful but one point
> I'd like to make is customer service. We always have one professional librarian
> on duty at all times and it's their responsibility to close up. That includes
> sticking around while a youngster waits for their ride, helping a patron finish
> up a print job, or waiting while an enthusiastic group FINALLY decides to call
> it a night. Most nights it's pretty straightforward and those things don't
> happen, but when they do, you just deal with it. It's all part of the job. I
> realize in larger libraries, it can be a much more complicated process, with
> more clerical staff involved. But professional librarians don't punch time
> clocks. Sometimes I actually enjoy staying late and having some uninterrupted

While we may not punch time clocks, the opening and closing of a large
academic library does need to work on schedule, especially considering
safety issues in urban areas. Our campus police and security help us clear
floors and it takes time and coordination to empty a 3 story building on
schedule. A small, private operation may be a different matter.

Jerry Notaro
University of South Florida, St. Petersburg campus