Re: DVD upkeep

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:01:07 -0700 (PDT)

DVD's are just like CD's - surface scratches can prevent them from playing
properly; and like CD's, I don't think anyone has ever come up with any
sort of protective surface which will keep them from scratching AND allow
them to play (someone told me that there is a plastic laminated cover that
is supposed to protect them, but I can't imagine it wouldn't create more
playing problems than the scratches). RTI is supposed to be developing a
machine for CD/DVD inspection and polishing that will take care of
relatively minor surface damage, but the last I heard it is behind
schedule in its release.

John Holland
Chicago Public Library
Media Express