RE: weeding vs. shelf space

Cartford@jcl.lib.ks.us
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

How about asking for more space? May sound like pie in the sky but you
never know. Has the book collection been weeded thoroughly? Have the book
and video collections been held to the same weeding standards, or have
videos been weeded more stringently? If the latter, maybe you have stuff in
your print collection that needs to go and would open up shelf space.
What's the turnover rate on video compared to print? What percent of total
circulation does video account for? If it's high relative to the number of
videos as a percent of the total collection, maybe you can make the case
that videos are an especially vital part of the collection and deserve more
space. I'd guess that's a long shot in most public libraries, where print
and the web reign (they do in mine), but what the hey, nothing ventured
nothing gained.

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Timberlake [mailto:ctimberl@sjvls.lib.ca.us]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 1:34 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: weeding vs. shelf space

We are a county public library system. A few months ago, we changed our
video loan period from 2 days to 1 week. Very quickly, circs. increased
50%. We have more room on our shelves, we take in more revenue ($1 per
video loan), but we see fewer fines. We also increased the number of
videos that could be borrowed on a library card at one time for 3 to 6
which may have been the major factor in the increased volume we are
experiencing. A year ago, we changed another policy which had limited
video borrowers to patrons aged 18 and up. We began permitting children
to borrow videos, and they do. By the way, so far no complaints from
parents, though we're waiting.

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Barb Bergman wrote:

> Karen,
> I see that you're a public library. Have you tried increasing the checkout
> period? The longer they're out, the less shelf space is needed to hold the
> ones that are in...
> I recall that the Iowa City PL only had shelves for 2/3 of its collection
> because 1/3 was usually checked out. Reshelving carts would be placed near
> the shelves rather trying to shelf immediately --by the end of the day,
> many of those titles had been checked out again.
>
> Barb
>
> At 08:07 AM 4/11/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >I would also make sure you had more than enough space to hold the
collection,
> >with space for emerging formats/technology.
> >I'm in the position of weeding perfectly good videos that are still
> >circulating or weeding videos on subjects that have more limited interest
> >(i.e. less common diseases, grief/grieving, certain historical or
> >geographical areas) because we've totally run out of room for videos.
It's