Re: Search: "The House I Live In"

Brian McCaskill (brian@facets.org)
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:46:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Larry,

It's on "Uncle Sam: The Movie Collection, Vol. 1", which Facets carries for
$29.95. Please see description below.

"Uncle Sam: The Movie Collection, Vol. 1"

Original, uncut documentaries, shorts and cartoons from World War II and the
Korean War are included on these volumes.

Seven wartime shorts, documentaries and cartoons, produced by Hollywood
studios and the U.S. government to galvanize a nation to answer the
challenges of fascism and racial intolerance. To the Shores of Iwo Jima
(1945, 18 mins.) is an Oscar-nominated documentary that uses real combat
footage shot by U.S. military combat photographers to tell the story of the
amphibious invasion of Iwo Jima. Divide and Conquer (Lewis Seiler, 1942, 15
mins.) is a relentless anti-Hitler propaganda film that builds to a
patriotic frenzy. Not to be confused with the film of the same name from
Capra's "Why We Fight" series. The Home Front (Frank Tashlin, 1943, 5 mins.)
is a Private Snafu cartoon geared toward homesick soldiers. You, John Jones
(Mervyn LeRoy, 1943, 12 mins.) stars James Cagney, Ann Sothern and Margaret
O'Brien in a spirit-raising, patriotic dramatic short.

"The House I Live In" (Mervyn LeRoy, 1945, 15 mins.) is a powerful attack on
anti-semitism. Frank Sinatra stars in this acclaimed film.

Rookie Revue (Fritz Freleng, 1941, 7 mins.) is a vintage Warner Brothers
"Merrie Melodies" cartoon spoofing basic training. Finally, Thunderbolt
(William Wyler/John Sturges, 1945, 40 mins.), features stunning aerial
combat footage narrated by James Stewart and Lloyd Bridges.

VHS: S40806 $29.95

If you'd like to order this title or would like any additional information
please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Brian McCaskill, Director
Educational Services
Facets Multimedia
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
e-mail: brian@facets.org
ph: 800-331-6197
fax: 773-929-5437

At 01:11 PM 4/3/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Does anyone know where we might find a print (or video) of Frank Sinatra's
>famous short on "tolerance" from the Fifties, "The House I Live In"?
>
>Many thanks for any and all clues.
>
>Larry Adelman
>California Newsreel
>149 9th Street
>San Francisco, CA 94103
>Tel: 415-621-6196
>Fax: 415-621-6522
>LA@newsreel.org
>http://www.newsreel.org

FACETS WHOLESALE
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
PH: 1-800-888-0775
PH: 1-773-281-9075
FAX:773-929-5437

HOURS: Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:00pm central time