Re: budgeting media

laroi.lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff:
The input from librarians will depend upon how much funding is going to be
allotted for media, faculty input with respect to specific courses, and how
current the other librarians are with respect to AV titles. Within our
department, 1/4 of the budget is allocated to our media collection. As the
person in charge of media, I get input from faculty members across the
curriculum for titles that will be used in the classroom. For example, the
History Dept. teaches a course called History 10-World History. Any title
we purchase for this course is incorporated into the course syllabus and is
assigned each semester. Of course the Instructor(s) preview and approve for
purchase or disapprove. Because many faculty members across the curriculum
are busy teaching or involved in other projects, those departments that
respond in a timely manner get requested titles faster. On a number of
occasions, budgeting has come from grants
which involve anywhere from $10,000.00 to $25,000.00 depending the size of
the grant.
Our "regular" librarians are actively involved in the selection process as
we have what is called a "mediagraphy list for every course taught here at
our campus. This list is placed on our Program Board where students can view
the AV titles listed for each course. The list is in A-Z format and will
soon be seen on our website page. The listings follow the text and syllabus
provided by the Instructor. Each
of the librarians in the media center are assigned a specific
area of concentration, e.g. social sciences, pure sciences, etc..

LaRoi Lawton, Director
Gerald S. Libliech Learning Resource Center
Library & Learning Resources Dept.
Bronx Community College/CUNY
Bronx, NY 10453

LaRoi