Re: 3M DVD rings (Was: Re: DVD balance problems)

Karen Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:29:50 -0700 (PDT)

Deg,
Could you post your findings to the list?
At 01:26 PM 03/30/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>The 3M security rings for CDs/DVDs are out. 3M displayed them at the
>Computers in Libraries conference in DC earlier in March.
>
>Unfortunately, apparently the new rings only work with the latest version of
>3M's security gates. (A point 3M failed to mention in their bid when we
>replaced our gates this year)
>
>3M does maintain that after 24 hours the labels become permanent. We
>already use paper labels on CDs, so are testing whether the 3M rings also
>become permanent when affixed to the current paper rings.
>

>deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
>Media/Communications Studies/Women's Studies
>Arizona State University West
>P.O. Box 37100
>Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
>Phone: 602.543.8522
>Email: deg@asu.edu
>

> > Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:20:51 +0800
> > From: Lisa Kwan <lblisak@polyu.edu.hk>
> > Subject: Re: DVD balance problems
> >

> > Yes, my Library has done the same thing and has faced the same problem.
> > We then
> > finally give up and only attach ordinary tattle tape on the container. We
> > are
> > still awaiting the 3M DVD security tape - a small ring attaching to the
> > center of
> > the disc. We have tried the sample but worried that it can be easily
> > taken off by
> > users.
> >
> > Lisa Kwan
> > Media Services Librarian
> > Pao Yue-kong Library
> > The Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Karen C. Driessen, Director Phone: 406-243-2856
Instructional Media Services FAX: 406-243-2689
32 Campus Drive #4968 E-mail: karend@selway.umt.edu
The University of Montana
Missoula MT 59812-4968