Re: Kurt Weill's Street Scene

Brian McCaskill (brian@facets.org)
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:01:39 -0800 (PST)

Yes, Facets will be carrying this version of "Street Scene" on DVD as well
(street date 5/1/01). Please look for a listing in our on-line catalog very
soon. In the meantime if anyone would like any additional info regarding
this, or any of our other titles, please feel free to contact me at your
convenience. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Brian McCaskill, Director
Educational Services
Facets Multimedia
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
e-mail: brian@facets.org
phone: 800-331-6197
fax: 773-929-5437

At 09:06 AM 3/27/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I can't remember who first asked about videos of Kurt Weill and Langston
>Hughes' opera "Street Scene" (maybe Becky Tatar?), but I just found a
>pre-release solicitation on Amazon and Movies Unlimited websites for a DVD
>only release of this opera, street date of May 1, 2001, list price of
>$29.99. While we have tosses around the issue of libraries ordering from
>Amazon, Movies Unlimited does accept PO's, and I'm sure Facets will have
>this listed before too long as well. They don't give a whole lot of
>information on the production, but it was filmed in Germany in 1995, with
>the Rheinland-Pfalz State Philharmonic orchestra and one James Holmes
>conducting (cast is not listed,, and even if they are all Germans singing
>in English, the heavy accents might work well in this piece!). Reiner
>Moritz' company RM Arts filmed it, and he has pretty good taste in
>selecting productions to film, so it's probably worth the gamble.
>

>John Holland
>Chicago Public Library
>Media Express
>(312)747-4100
>jholland@chipublib.org

FACETS WHOLESALE
1517 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
PH: 1-800-888-0775
PH: 1-773-281-9075
FAX:773-929-5437

HOURS: Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:00pm central time