Re: videos, distance education, & fair use

Jennifer Robichaud (jrobich@uottawa.ca)
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:38:22 -0800 (PST)

What is so terrible is to order and PAY FOR a second (third, fourth)
copy because it is punishingly expensive to do so. Distance Ed.
students are still a part of the same institution and you don't
have to buy items according to the number of students you have
do you? It's not as if you can say that if a library serves more
than 1200 students you must buy two copies of this or that item.
If a distance course uses a text they can borrow the one held by the
library when it is not in use by someone else who uses that library.
When you're talking about broadcasting a video for class purposes it
is usually just used once for that class and never again (unless it
is needed the next semester) - it just means the students are spread
around and not all in the same place.