Fw: DVDs claiming closed captioning

Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:58:13 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C0A6EC.8E305A00

Hello all,

I just received a message from a librarian (see below) regarding an =
increasing number of DVDs which claim to be closed captioned but are =
not. Has anyone else run into this or heard anything about it? I'm going =
to start checking DVDs here to see if I can find examples. With the vast =
majority of studio releases on VHS closed-captioned, I can't understand =
why studios would be releasing the much more versatile DVDs without cc.=20

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Bev Owen=20
To: Pitman Randy=20
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 9:57 AM
Subject: DVDs claiming closed captioning

Good morning, Randy,
The video/DVD cataloger here has been noticing a growing number of DVD =
titles coming in from the studios claiming to be closed captioned that =
do not turn out to be closed captioned. We, of course, have checked our =
equipment thinking the problem must be ours, but equipment is OK--all =
truly CC'd titles display properly. We have asked our vendor to check =
into this and responses back from the studio reps is "dissing" this as =
possible. Have you heard anything about this or seen this happening =
yourself? Don't quite know where to go with this next... Really don't =
think we're missing something here, but want to be sure; AND, of course, =
the larger issue is the hearing impaired community that will not be =
served if this trend continues to grow as the studios "crank" out the =
DVDs as fast as they can.

Thanks,=20
Beverly Owen
Manager, Selection and Order
King County Library System
960 Newport Way NW
Issaquah, WA 98027

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C0A6EC.8E305A00

Hello all,

I just received a message from a = librarian (see=20 below) regarding an increasing number of DVDs which claim to be closed = captioned=20 but are not. Has anyone else run into this or heard anything about it? = I'm going=20 to start checking DVDs here to see if I can find examples.=20 With the vast majority of studio releases on VHS=20 closed-captioned, I can't understand why studios would be = releasing=20 the much more versatile DVDs without cc.

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 = Honeycomb Ct.=20 NW