Re: Looking For French Films

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 06:46:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Jessica. We got our NTSC copy (non-subtitled) from Version Francaise.
Is this a company with which you're familiar? Should I be steering clear of
them???

Susan

> Lacombe Lucien is one of those notorious films which is NOT legally
> available in the US. It may be available in the UK on PAL and it appears to
> be available untitled on PAL in France. Any other copies would be illegal
> dubs of some kind. The rights on the film are a bit murky but I believe that
> it is owned by Candice Bergen as Malle claimed to own it before his death.
>
> In general it is good to remember that only the tiniest fraction of
> French, German, Italian etc are ever released or available in the US.
> Realistically if you can't find a title from the usual suspects, ( Facets,
> Movies Unlimited, Amazon etc) it is simply not released here
>
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino
>
> > From: Pam Bruce <pbruce@carleton.edu>
> > Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:58:34 -0800 (PST)
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: Re: Looking For French Films
> >
> > Roz,
> >
> > Check the website IMDB.com. I was referred to a source (Amazon.com) for
> > Lacombe Lucien through this website. It's full title is Independent Movie
> > Data Base.
> >

> > At 05:28 AM 2/28/01 -0800, you wrote:
> >> We have tried our usual sources (Facets, etc.) for these films but
> >> cannot locate. If anyone knows a good source for purchasing foreign
> >> films on the web in VHS format or DVD, please let me know - I'm kinda
> >> new at the collection game!!
> >>
> >> Un heros tres discret
> >> Le vieil homme et l'enfant
> >> Lacombe Lucien
> >> Papy fait la resistance
> >> Ils partiront dans l'ivresse
> >>
> >> Roz
> >> --
> >> _______________________________
> >> Rosalind Tedford
> >> Information Technology Center Manager
> >> Wake Forest University
> >> Phone: 336-758-5910
> >> FAX: 336-758-8831
> >> tedforrl@wfu.edu
> >> http://www.wfu.edu/~tedforrl
> >>

> > Pam Bruce
> > Media Services
> > Carleton College
> > Northfield, MN 55057
> > 507-646-5433

Susan Albrecht
Library Acquisitions/Media Center Asst.
Wabash College Lilly Library
Crawfordsville, IN
albrechs@wabash.edu
***"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
-- Geddy Lee***