Re: Looking For French Films

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:36:57 -0800 (PST)

Lacombe Lucien is one of those notorious films which is NOT legally
available in the US. It may be available in the UK on PAL and it appears to
be available untitled on PAL in France. Any other copies would be illegal
dubs of some kind. The rights on the film are a bit murky but I believe that
it is owned by Candice Bergen as Malle claimed to own it before his death.

In general it is good to remember that only the tiniest fraction of
French, German, Italian etc are ever released or available in the US.
Realistically if you can't find a title from the usual suspects, ( Facets,
Movies Unlimited, Amazon etc) it is simply not released here

Jessica Rosner
Kino