Re: Use of uncataloged materials

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:28:47 -0800 (PST)

email gfedak@mtsu.edu

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Kim Hale <kah000@mail.lib.colum.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 4:43 PM
Subject: Use of uncataloged materials

> Hello all:
>=20
> We often get requests from faculty (and students) to use AV items that =
are
> not cataloged or are "in process". We currently do a manual charge =
for
> titles that are not in the database, but on occasion, some materials =
are
> not returned.
>=20
> Do any of you have specific procedures that you use to handle this =
kind of
> situation? =20
>=20
> All comments/suggestions are welcome.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Kim
>=20
> Kimberly Hale, Acquisitions Librarian/Coordinator of Collection =
Development=20
> Library, Columbia College Chicago=20
> 624 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605=20
> (312)344-7355(voice) / (312)344-8062(fax)
>=20
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C0A09F.44439D60

We temporarily catalog our materials automatically = as they=20 arrive - enter a brief bib record (title, source, uniform "number" = consisting of=20 an initial letter and zeros), holdings record, and item record with = barcode. We=20 then assign a temporary number that is searchable only in-house (I don't = want=20 the temporary numbers developing a permanent place in the collective = faculty=20 brain). We are so far behind in cataloging that we had to go this route = to keep=20 track of our materials (1000+). If we know a faculty member is waiting = with=20 baited breath to use a program as soon as it comes out of the box, we=20 will check it out as we do preview tapes - with pencil and paper. = So far=20 it's working well.

Gail B. Fedak
Coordinator, Instructional Media=20 Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN  = 37132
phone  615-898-2740
fax  = 615-898-2530