Re: another copyright question

Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:51:01 -0800 (PST)

I really don't think any of these situations is close enough to
face-to-face teaching to invoke that exemption. The actual wording
is:

(A) the performance or display is a regular part of the systematic
instructional activities of a governmental body or a nonprofit
educational institution.

Take another look at section 110:
<http://www.iupui.edu/~copyinfo/sec110.html>

-- Kris

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Collette Ford wrote:

> Here are a couple of copyright question scenarios related to showing
> videos to student groups on campus that I'd like the groups' opinion
> about:
>
> 1) student group wants to show video during their meeting 2) student
> group wants to show video during their meeting and have discussion led
> by faculty advisor 3) student group has invited faculty member to give
> lecture and faculty member will show video 4) student group is working
> with faculty member on project for which they get academic credit; want
> to show video at meeting with lecture by guest faculty.
>
> In my limited understanding, scenario #1 would be considered a public
> performance. Is that right? Can the face-to-face teaching exemption be
> extended to scenarios #2, #3, or #4 where some teaching is occurring???
>
> Many thanks,
> --
> Collette
>
> Collette C. Ford
> Multimedia Resources Center Librarian
> Main Library
> P.O. Box 19557
> Irvine, CA 92623-9557
> Phone: 949-824-8929
> FAX: 949-824-5740
> Email: ccford@uci.edu

Main Library E170, 1320 E. Tenth Street
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405