Re: Copyright

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:35:34 -0800 (PST)

I will leave it to others to send you the copyright section info though it
is very straightforward and even a faculty member ought to be able to
understand it. However I find the part about the fee confusing. Sony does
not licence their films directly but through either Swank ( regular Sony) or
New Yorker ( Sony Classics). Like anything else the fee will vary based on
the title and new releases will be much more exspensive than old ones in
almost every case. I am guessing that the title in question was a recent
Sony classics film as these would most likely be around $350.

Basically the problem is that professor is in a video store mentality and
can't comprehend why a "Video" which they can rent for a few bucks should
cost hundreds to show to an audience. It is very, very difficult to change
this mindset but I would try to emphasize that this is a RIGHTS issue. Ask
them how they would like it if everyone made copies of any books or articles
they wrote, posted them on the internet and used them in classes without
paying them any royalty.

Good Luck

Jessica