RE: Laserdisc Collections??

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:57:55 -0800 (PST)

In the 1800s people sometimes used the glass plates from early photographers
to build greenhouses, allowing the images on them to slowly fade away or
become smashed. In the early days of cinema nitrate film stock was melted
down to make combs and other useful household items. Only in later years did
people recognize their value and cringe at the thought of what was lost.
Personally I'm hanging onto things like my laser disc of the original Star
Wars. And not because of the cover art. But to preserve (as well as
possible, it being a video transfer) what the original film actually looked
like to the 1970s audiences who made it successful. Ditto Close Encounters
of the Third Kind before Spielberg chopped out 15 minutes and added
spaceship interiors and other gratuitous effects. These are two of some of
the most successful films in 20th Century history, and their original
versions are pretty much extinct. I only hope I still can find a laser-disc
player around when I figure out what format to transfer to that is not going
to obsolete in 5 years.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Richie, Director [mailto:Media2@bellatlantic.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 6:34 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Laserdisc Collections??

I've heard of a couple of solutions from public libraries. One of them
is to sell the feature films on Laser disc off to the highest bidder.
Film buffs wanted them just as collectables and for the cover art.

In the k12 world, the educational videodiscs make great place mats at
the dinner table. They are heat resistant and you can put them in the
dish washer. Also as a drip catcher for candles. the grooves make a
really neat pattern on the cieling.

Just a thought.

Mark