RE: VERY interesting copyright article

Darryl Wiggers (Darryl.Wiggers@AllianceAtlantis.com)
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:42:20 -0800 (PST)

It goes back to the George Harrison example, Susan. He didn't intend to
infringe the copyright of He's So Fine ("Oops! It was an accident") -- the
court accepted that -- but it was beside the point. Intentionally or not, a
"violation" is a violation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Albrecht [mailto:albrechs@wabash.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 2:34 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: VERY interesting copyright article

Okay, okay, perhaps I'm being dense here (a distinct possibility on a Friday

afternoon after a long week of not feeling well...), but WHY, if Mr.
CleanVideo
is nailed, would this impact your HOME copies of videos? Can you explain
why an accidentally (or intentionally!) altered HOME copy is the SAME thing
as an intentionally altered video purchased for RENTAL? They seem like two
entirely different entities to moi.

Susan

> If CleanVideo is successfully nailed it could have all kinds of weird
> repercussions. Think about it. It'll mean that every video in every
library
> and home can be scrutinized to ensure that they preserve the intended
rights
> holder's version. If I accidentally tape over my copy of Saving Private
> Ryan, and Spielberg finds out, could he have me throw me in jail?

Susan Albrecht
Library Acquisitions/Media Center Asst.
Wabash College Lilly Library
Crawfordsville, IN
albrechs@wabash.edu
***"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
-- Geddy Lee***