RE: VERY interesting copyright article

Henry Mattoon (hmattoon@afionline.org)
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:37:34 -0800 (PST)

Reply to: RE: VERY interesting copyright article
I appreciate your playing devi's advocate in all this. Yes, certainly this could have repercussions, which until a day or two ago this Mr. CleanFlicks was totally unaware of. It'll certainly raise consciousness among a lot of people who never gave this sort of thing much thought. I mean, just look at what a discussion this issue has raised here!

In terms of your accidentally taping over SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, I personally would say GOOD FOR YOU! Now the tape can be put to good use! But my personal feelings aside, if you bought the tape legally, the physical item is your personal property. There's nothing to stop you from reusing the tape, or using the vid as a coaster. Heck, even pull out the tape itself and use it to decorate your wall (as a artist friend of mine has done -- no, not with SPR). You don't obviously own the intellectual rights, but that physical item, the tape, the case, the box are yours. Tape over it, shred the box, toss it in the dumpster.
[All expressions regarding Mr. Spielberg, who I'm sure is a wonderful human being are mine alone.]

Henry

Henry K. Mattoon
National Moving Image Database
The American Film Institute