RE: VERY interesting copyright article

Henry Mattoon (hmattoon@afionline.org)
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:15:02 -0800 (PST)

Reply to: RE: VERY interesting copyright article
Well, yes, you certainly can alter any video you legally purchase, obviously, if it's for your own personal use. Rather like ripping pages out of a book. It's your *physical* copy. But, Jessica is right. The problem comes in whey you try to make money off this stuff, sell/rent the altered vids.

And, he tries to get around the (c) law by seemingly to say "send us your legally purchased videos and we'll take out the naughty bits." That *may* be OK, if he's editing it for your own tastes, but he cannot turn around and sell that edited copy to someone else -- that's just plain piracy, and piracy of an ever worse kind. Checkl out his "Here are the movies we offer" pages. So, he apparently has a stockpile of the "nonoffensive" versions ready to ship on the one hand; on the other, he'll take your own legally purchased vids and clean them up for you for a charge. Former is clearly illegal; latter *may* be OK if it's a one-off agreement between you and him.

In any case, I agree he's on pretty shaky ground.

Before I left for work today, the TODAY program on NBC was going to have a segment on this guy, along with I believe some (c) attorney and/or someone from the MPPA.

Maybe someone who caught that this AM can report? I just checked the today.msnbc.com website and there's nothing there yet.

PS -- I like his comment that in addition to naughty words, nudity, etc he takes out "words related to Diety." I suppose "Oh, my Lord!" would have to go. Also, any vid with a diety-like name in the title, even that George Burns groaner OH GOD!, not to mention OH GOD! BOOK II and probably the most defiling of the series, OH GOD! YOU DEVIL. Would he treat "words related to" Satan the same as those "related to Diety"?

Henry K. Mattoon
National Moving Image Database
The American Film Institute
2021 N. Western Ave.