RE: VERY interesting copyright article

Henry Mattoon (hmattoon@afionline.org)
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:59:52 -0800 (PST)

Reply to: RE: VERY interesting copyright article
In terms of the Macrovision question, it's been very easy to work around for quite some time. Every time the M. is updated, it's cracked. In fact, the company that makes those GO VIDEO duplicating video machines touts the fact in their advertising that unscrambles Macrovision, and I think some other copyguard techniques as well. They obviously sell a totally legal product, but explain in their adverts, etc. that it is illegal to use these dual deck machines to copy copyrighted material, to defeat the protection of Macrovision, etc. In fact, there's a ton of units that you hook up between your vcr units, legally sold for defeating Macrovision and other image/sound destabilizing systems. Again, completely legal. Radio Shack used to sell one (maybe they still do), and like all such companies, advertise it with the above caveats and market it as an "image stabilizer." Pictures typically show these units being hooked up between the vcr and the tv, but NOT between vsr's which is probably w
hat probably 95% of customers want them for.
Henry K. Mattoon
National Moving Image Database
The American Film Institute
2021 N. Western Ave.