Re: info on DVDs

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:17:11 -0800 (PST)

I haven't seen cracks around the center hole in our DVDs
yet--but I"m glad to receive information when it's
happening, and would be interested to know even more
detail from Randy and anyone else on the style of case
you're using when you encounter problems.

That's because I have the following impressions about the
two major DVD cases available:

1. The "Accura" case. This *seems* to be the one that
Randy is describing below, because you need to press on
the center hub (divided into two pieces for flex) to
release the disc. However, my impression has been that
the tightness of the hub is really quite moderate and not
likely to create much wear (cracks or otherwise). And it
operates dependably, is simple to figure out (if you can
read two simple words embossed on the hub). (Paramount,
for one, uses this case regularly.)

2. The "Alpha" case. This is the one I really have
problems with--though it's seemingly more and more
popular with publishers all the time. The Alpha has the
molded depression above the disc and hub, for you to
place your finger(s) in to pry up the DVD when extracting
it. The hub itself has little flanges on it holding the
DVD down: if you decide to try and squeeze the hub to
lift the DVD instead of using the finger depression, it
actually takes a bit of skill to get used to and get
around those flanges. (I do this all the time with my
DVDs at home.)
My problems with this case are several: (a) The hub
pressure on the DVD is actually greater, and there's more
scraping friction, when you pop off that DVD with your
fingers. (b) When prying off the DVD, you're actually
flexing the disc a little as it comes up--this is *not*
good for a disc bonded of two layers, and I'd be
concerned with a repetitive/cumulative effect over time.
(c) Sometimes this pry-up procedure just doesn't work
well (maybe because of variations in the molding of the
hub mechanism)--and discs are fixed a little too tightly
on the hub, then may pop up clear off it (if you aren't
worried at that point about breaking them from the
flexing, and simply give up).

The irony is that the best mechanism--least friction on
the hole, easiest for disc removal, and already familiar
to the public--is the homely jewel box for the CD. That
box has gone by the wayside because of marketing
considerations. The Warners-style cardboard "snapper"
case uses an acceptable adaptation of the jewel box's hub
design--but of course, lots of libraries probably dump
the cardboard (and should, in the longer run).

So what to do? I wish another hard-sided case that was
shaped like the standard DVD case--same approx.
dimensions as a videotape box--and using the jewel box
hub, would appear. Right now, I use jewel boxes inside a
holder in a three-ring binder... but can't do that
forever, and would love to simplify.

Anyone want to argue with these opinions? Shed new light
from experience I'm not aware of?

Jeff

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:52:38 -0800 (PST) "R. Hertzler"
<rhertz@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> We've seen this a couple times, but it's always (apparently, at
> least) been due to the type of cases that require you to first depress the
> center hole, which releases the disc, then lift the DVD out. Patrons are
> used to CD jewelbox-style cases that allow you to grasp the protruding
> edges of the CD and simply pry it out; for the DVD cases described
> above--if you can get your nails under the edges of the disc--that center
> button can hang on pretty tightly, putting enough stress on the center
> hole to actually crack the disc. I'm trying to flag this style of case
> when it comes in for repackaging in a "friendlier" case.
>
> Randy Hertzler
> University of Washington Libraries
>
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Donna Newman wrote:
>
> > Our DVD collection has been in place for less than a year but
> > we are beginning to see damage (cracks) to the inner ring and
> > we wonder if anyone else has noticed this problem and what they
> > are doing about it.
> > Please answer off the list.
> > donna newman
> > Monroe County Public Library
> > 303 East Kirkwood Avenue
> > Bloomington IN 47408
> > 1-812-349-3201
> > thanks
> >
> > XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> >
> > everyone has a photographic memory. Some of us just don't have any film.

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources (MSC 1701)
James Madison University